Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Blog Start



I am Julia Balestri, a 19 year old who is currently attending Lawrence University where I study Studio Art and Film. One of my dream jobs would be to direct music videos. I also think it would be cool to work for a company like Vice or Redbull. I like to work with a variety of different mediums ranging from jewelry to photography, painting to videography, clothing to drawing, from body modification to collage. I have found it hard to focus all my energy on one specific medium for a very long time because I am always searching for new ways to represent and build my ideas. I enjoy focusing on the small details of life, and that tends to show through my photography and videography. I am very interested in documentation, which also shows through those mediums and also appears in the collages I compile along with the subjects I chose to draw. I find myself  mostly grounded in reality; different viewpoints on what is "real" tend to intrigue me the most. Something I love most about art is that anybody can do it. As Keith Haring used to say, "Art is for everybody." If I could make any impact on the world I would be satisfied if all I could do is inspire other people to find their voice and create more things for everyone to see. Like Marshall McLuhan has said, "Today, the mass audience can be used as a creative, participating force." I believe that free public pieces are some of the highest forms of artistic expression.

Below I have included some of my more recent works
Sheep candid in Iceland

Purple hand earrings
Card dangle earrings

Crane in Iceland


You can view jewelry that I have made here:https://www.instagram.com/spazcore/

You can view some of my video works here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCM0z31YaD088hKe3yXDOGQ


2 comments:

  1. I like that you use a variety of mediums in order to express yourself, because I think that it gets boring when working with just one type. I also think your jewelry is unique, I'll have to check out your website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like that you use multiple mediums- your ideas about art and wanting to encourage anyone to do it are very much in line with mine, and I'm glad to know that someone else shares my point of view!

    ReplyDelete

Counterbalance

For my semester long project I decided to focus on the subject of abortion as my motivation for creating content. I find this subject par...