Sunday, April 28, 2019

Anger Management Interpretation



Rico Nasty's Anger Management

"Laughing Skull" by Julia Balestri 4/28/19

"Just as the reading of the modern text (such at least as it may be postulated) consists not in receiving, in knowing or in feeling that text, but in writing it anew, in crossing its writing with a fresh inscription" (Barthes 153). 


I like Rico Nasty's new album Anger Management because I feel like I can relate to certain aspects of what she is saying, like when she speaks with confidence about being the best version of herself she can be and owning her craft. I especially admire that she shows she has anger and can be "nasty" because those aren't things that our society vouches for our women to be yet. 

Rico released Anger Management on April 25th, 2019 (three days ago) and since then I have only listened to this album on repeat and nothing else. When I was looking at this prompt for a project that said to design artwork based off music but doing so without listening to it I knew I had to make something based off of a song from Anger Management. Rico's music in general but specifically this album makes me feel like the anger and fire energy that I have inside of me can be harnessed to do productive things, like fine tuning my crafts or developing myself into a better person. 

I made digital art based on how the song "Cold" specifically makes me feel, which is sort of the power in angry laughing and knowing that people can or are actively doubting you. I made a gif of a skull laughing because I felt that the grit of the skull and fire combined with the humor of it would accurately depict how I feel while listening to the track. 

Listen to the track "Cold" from Rico Nasty's Anger Management below:




3 comments:

  1. I definitely admire her confidence! You can tell she really has a lot of power, addressing and disregarding the negativity and hate thrown at her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really appreciate the angry-energy her music gives off. Your gif expressed it really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. inventor of suga trap, my queen. I love Rico!!

    ReplyDelete

Counterbalance

For my semester long project I decided to focus on the subject of abortion as my motivation for creating content. I find this subject par...