Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Counterbalance


For my semester long project I decided to focus on the subject of abortion as my motivation for creating content. I find this subject particularly interesting because of the amount of propaganda that is created to advocate against it which is combined with a lack of information about the procedure itself or any reason a person with a uterus would want to get one. From what I've seen, this leads some people to form incredibly non-logical arguments against it. 
I decided to manufacture some pro-abortion/pro-choice propaganda of my own, sort of as a counterbalance. Less of an attempt to create pieces that could be used as pieces of evidence for the cause, this experimentation was carried out to see how humor and the particular style of media could be used in an alternative way to how it is normally posted. 


This billboard was inspired by the "my heart beats at 18 days from conception" ones you can find dotted along many highways. I think that it could be used in a fact based discussion, as it is rooted in science and fact versus humor or anything else.


This one was made to show that abortion isn't always the best option, but if it is physically and emotionally feasible for the pregnant person it can be one way to decide when, and how, to start a family.


This one is my favorite because it is so blatant.


This one was made because I knew I wanted to bring Christianity into the discussion. This is because there seems to be a lack of separation between church and state when the legality of abortion is being discussed. Another aspect of the abortion argument is when people believe a human is alive or sentient. This bible quote shows that man becomes a living being when he breathes the breath of life. Meaning takes a breath of air, which only happens for a baby when it is outside the womb. I also think this piece could be referenced in discussion as a logical and fair point to bring up.


This was created because of all the times I've heard that "abortion is murder." I thought it would be interesting to create a piece that instead demonizes the anti-abortion protesters. I also made this piece because I wanted to learn more about digitally manipulating photographs and working specifically with human faces. 

If I were to do this project again I would focus on making media suitable for social media platforms. I would have also liked to make a video but I didn't schedule enough time into spring term for that to be possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counterbalance

For my semester long project I decided to focus on the subject of abortion as my motivation for creating content. I find this subject par...