Sunday, April 21, 2019

Visiting Artist: Faythe Levine





On April 17th, Faythe Levine visited our class and gave us opportunity to have face-to-face conversation with her. Levine is a middle aged working artist that was born where I am from, Minneapolis, Minnesota. She currently works as a Assistant Curator at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center in Wisconsin. Before this job she worked as a gallery owner, wrote books, directed films, and general art maker.

I wish I had been more awake for the talk with her, as I would have been able to come up with more questions on the spot about things I am curious about in the art world. Regardless, I feel like I still gained a lot from the discussion we had with her as a class. One thing that I had already assumed about working in the art field but she solidified is the concept that an artist must be constantly networking in order to make a name for them self. One thing she suggested was to bring a token of appreciation to an artist if you go to a lecture or art opening of theirs. This shows that you care about them and think about their work while also setting you apart from other show goers. She also mentioned that you could contact them online, which I feel like the modern usage of this would to be to follow them on social medias and message them through there. You could also get someone's phone number for a more intimate access to their message board.

Overall I did like what she had to tell us but I feel like the scene that we as graduating students are going to be entering is so incredibly different than the one that older artists have grown in. The use of social media and constant access to cameras that take high quality photos and videos creates a completely different realm of interaction that an older artist cannot help us navigate. I appreciate all advice that any veteran artist can give me. I still carry respect for my elders and know that they have experienced life in ways that I can learn so much from. Regardless, the honest truth is that I really need to hear what the scene is like RIGHT NOW because that is the world I can be apart of, not the one that functioned decades ago. I need to understand how to market myself online as much as I do in person. To act as if the social platforms that have become so integrated into human activity cannot be used as a tool for success is an outdated and ignorant belief. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand where you are coming from when you say say that you need to know how to be a part of the art scene as it is right now, not how it has been. I am on the same boat.

    ReplyDelete

Counterbalance

For my semester long project I decided to focus on the subject of abortion as my motivation for creating content. I find this subject par...